Thursday, August 22, 2013

Journey To The West

I am hooked!

Awhile back, I purchased a copy of one of the four great classic novels of Chinese Literature on my Kindle. Journey to the West was written in the 16th century during the Ming Dynasty. Its authorship is attributed to We Cheng'en. I opted to buy the unabridged instead of the chopped down version of book, and am only about 40% done! I absolutely love the story! This comes as a shocker to many folks who know me, because I am not a fiction reader.
While clicking around on Youtube the other day I discovered Journey to the West was made into several different Chinese television series bearing the same title. The series that remains truest to the story was produced by Zhang Jizhong. This 66 episode series ran in mainland China in 2011 and can be viewed in its entirety on good ol' Youtube. 
I just finished up episode 12 and am loving the characters, cheesy cg, and incredible subtitles! I highly recommend this series to anyone who is interested the lore of the Monkey King! HIYa!

No comments:

Post a Comment